The HTC One and Battery Life


One of the things that worries a lot of smartphone users is how long their device will last day to day. My general rule for battery life is if it can get me through an entire day (from when I wake up to when I sleep, so about 18 hours or so), then it is enough battery life for me. I'm telling you now, don't hold off from buying the HTC One if you main or only concern is the battery life, either because you think it won't have enough or because it doesn't have a removable battery. It's not an issue for me, and I'm betting, it won't be for you. The 2,300mah capacity battery is great! You'll be missing out on beautifully crafted device full of useful features.

The one problem about rating battery life for smartphones is that every person uses their phone differently. So I may get 18 hours which is really good because I'm using my device for all sorts of things and it still gets long battery life, someone else could get 24 hours but barely be using it. I've used the HTC One S, Nexus 4, HTC Sensation, HTC One, and the LG G2x. The HTC One easily outdoes all of them in terms of battery life. It does so while also having a quad-core processor, 1080p screen, crisp boomsound, and a large 4.7" screen! So that's something to really be impressed by. I would say that the HTC One in comparison to the Nexus 4 has about 30% better battery life under my battery usage. Which is great. Also the battery goes strong for video playback. Check out this video bellow where I took the HTC One for a spin playing videos non stop until it died. For more details on the test check out my blog post about it.


Pretty good, right? People don't always use their phone for endless playback though. So moving on to some real world battery samples. I use GSam Battery Monitor to get my battery statistics. Bellow is my very first day of battery use after getting my phone. The default Sense battery information is pretty scarce so the information isn't that great, but it shows 16 hours of usage time. The picture on the right is with GSam Battery and is more useful as it shows that I had the screen on for about 2 hours 20 minutes. All of my battery tests are done with my brightness set to 50% for the majority of time, bluetooth always on (connected to my Pebble Smartwatch), GPS off, WiFi on, Auto Sync on as needed, and battery saving mode on (with only cpu power ticked).

So having 2 hours and 20 minute screen on time and still being able to have the device being used and unplugged for 26 hours is pretty good! So after over a month of data collected my average battery life is around 22 hours! This battery result is from today, but the battery usage for this particular usage cycle is pretty low because I had GPS on for awhile going around town getting information for Sensorly so I can map more T-Mobile LTE locations. But even then, I still managed to make it through the day!



The other aspect about battery life is how long does the battery take to recharge from really empty to completely full. As for the HTC One, it takes a longer than usual amount of time. It will take almost twice as long as any other phone I've owned. Around 3-4 hours for a full charge. Although the HTC One has the Snapdragon 600 processor, which supports the QuickCharge feature, but it looks like HTC opted out. One possible reason why, is because the battery is not easily replaceable and having longer charge times allows for better battery health.



Giving a clear rating for battery is hard. On one hand I get great battery life, but on the other hand I know that the battery isn't replaceable and that there are other smartphones out there with bigger capacity batteries. Take for example the Galaxy S4 and the Galaxy Note. So taking into account all that, my rounded up score is something I stand behind.


Battery Life: ★★★★★★★★★☆ (9 of 10)


Written by

0 comments: